Swedish Vanilla Dreams Cookies
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Servings: About 22 (3 cookies per serving)
These sweet little cookies are amazingly tender and crumbly with a pure vanilla flavor and a classic crackled exterior, all owed to the use of an old-world leavening agent.
½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1¼ cups granulated sugar
7 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tsp baking ammonia (see important Tips below)
2 cups (9 ounces) all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter, sugar and Lars Own® Vanilla Powdered Sugar together until light, about 3 minutes. Adding oil gradually until incorporated.
- Combine baking ammonia with flour and then add to butter mixture.
- Mix until a soft dough forms.
- Form dough into 3/4-inch balls (roll between palms to form smooth balls) and place 2 inches apart onto parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake 25 to 27 minutes or until golden brown on bottoms.
Baking ammonia (Ammonium Carbonate) is a traditional ingredient used in these cookies and results in an incredibly light, tender and crunchy cookie. It is important to make these cookies small and bake them until the bottoms are lightly browned to dry them out and drive off any ammonia smell. Although the kitchen will smell of ammonia at the start of baking, the resulting cookies will have no aftertaste or aroma. The pure flavor of the vanilla really comes through.
Baking ammonia can be found at specialty baking stores or online. If desired, baking ammonia can be substituted with 1 Tsp baking powder. The cookies will not be as light as the original, and will not have the characteristic crackled surface, but are still tender and delicious.
When baking, weighing the flour will result in more consistent results. If not weighing, make sure to lightly spoon flour into the cup and level off the top without packing down.
What our customers say
0 reviews, 0 Q&As